When all you fancy is a vitamin-packed, light and tasty meal, give this vegetable rice and lentil bake a try.
Great for 'using-up' all the leftover veggies in your fridge, it goes with everything, doubles as a great side dish plus costs very little and can be frozen, making it a great economical choice.
A massive thanks to Edward Baker from Neurokinex for the recipe!
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 carrots, finely chopped
1-3 Portobello mushrooms, cubed
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
1. Boil enough basmati rice and red lentils for 4-6 people in 500ml of vegetable stock. Simmer slowly and try to boil off the liquid until the food is the consistency of porridge.
2. Meanwhile chop the vegetables listed above.
3. Fry the chopped veggies gently in butter and olive oil, until soft.
4. Boil and mash 2 sweet potatoes and 1 squash, all mashed together.
5. Grate 100g of strong cheddar cheese into a bowl.
6. Layer the rice and lentil mix, softened veg and mash in your biggest oven dish.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins on 170-180 celsius.
8. Sprinkle the grated cheddar over the top of the bake for the last 5-10 minutes cooking in the oven.